Chroma Jo Sonja's Tannin Sealer (& Goldleaf Size) 250ml
Related Products Link
Jo Sonja's Tannin Sealer is recommended to prepare surfaces for painting which are likely to 'stain through' paint layers. These may include knotted wood, old lacquered or stripped furniture and masonite.
Tannin Sealer may also be used as a Gold Leaf Size and may be used with real and imitation leaf.
Directions: Wood knots
- Apply undiluted to clean, dry surface, directly over and at least 2" beyond knots. Do not use a hair dryer to dry, as this will encourage pitch or staining to rise through the wood. Apply at least 2 coats.
- Allow to cure for 7 days before proceeding to paint or decorate.
- When staining wood, stain first, then apply Tannin Sealer as above.
- Tannin Sealer dries tacky when cured. This is normal and may be painted over without problem.
Directions: Gold Leafing
- Brush on smooth, even coat of Tannin Sealer and allow to dry. Apply one additional coat and allow to dry naturally until no fingerprint is left when touched.
- Press gold leaf onto this surface; heat gently with a hair dryer before removing the excess.
- If you are working on a larger item or require longer working time, add a small amount of Jo Sonja's Retarder Medium as required.
- When gold leafing is complete, apply Jo Sonja's All Purpose Sealer if you intend to paint over the leaf.
- Two to three coats of Jo Sonja's Varnish will assist in preventing tarnish.
- Wash hands and brushes in water
Tanning Sealer may be used for pre-sealing items if you have run out of All Purpose Sealer. It may be used the same way. Tannin Sealer should not be applied over oily stains. Adhesion will be poor and oil may still penetrate the Sealer.